Friday, May 28, 2010

Bad Movies, Inventions, and Bristol Palin

If something is really, really bad, what do you call it?
The other evening, I was watching TV with my lovely daughter, Caitlyn (actually, Caitlyn was reading a book, texting, and watching TV at the same time - kids these days) and a commercial came on for a new movie starring some chubby guy with curly hair (not sure what his name is) and Caitlyn said something along the lines of, "That guy really bugs me," and I said, "What guy?" and she said, "That guy in this movie - he's really annoying and he was in this really bad movie," and I said, "What movie was that?" and she said, "I can't remember, but it was really, really bad," at which point, I was ready to let the whole thing go because I didn't care that much one way or the other (about the actor, the movie he was in before, or the movie he was going to be in) but Caitlyn's obsessive button had been pushed, so she had to go and get her computer so she could search for the actor's name and the name of his "really, really bad" movie, which turned out to be called - can you see this one coming - "Superbad." As in, the name of the really, really bad movie turned out to be Superbad, which is pretty ironic - or maybe not really ironic, but it was definitely mildly amusing.

Idea for a new invention
The other evening, I was watching the "American Idol" finale (are you noticing a pattern here?) and I came up with a great idea for a new invention - the "Mute Ryan Seacrest" button. When you push the button, it mutes everything Ryan says, so you don't have to listen to his annoying nonsense. "So now did you feel when you were singing that song? So how did you feel when the judges said you were terrible/great/mediocre/pitchy, dog?" I could probably make millions of dollars.

Peripheral viewing
The other evening, I was watching TV with everyone but Connor, who was doing something on the computer in the other room. But the thing is, even though Connor isn't watching TV, he still makes comments on everything that happens on the show - from the other room while he's doing something on the computer. I don't know why I'm writing about this, but it's kind of funny when you're sitting there and every once in awhile, Connor fires off some random comment from the other room (guess you had to be there).

This next one has nothing to do with TV
I happened to spot an article in the newspaper the other day that caught my eye. Apparently, Sarah Palin's daughter, Bristol is "hitting the speaker's circuit" and will be paid between $15,000 and $30,000 per appearance, with the price depending on "which group she's addressing and what she must do to prepare." There are so many things wrong with this, that I can't even begin to list all the things that are wrong with this. Seriously? Bristol Palin? Who would pay to hear her speak? For that matter, who would sit and listen to her speak - even if it was free? All I can say to this is, "Wow."

Last Days
Every year, students and teachers all across this great nation (and possibly the world) experience the last day of school for the year. For me, this day is always a little bittersweet. It's strange to spend so much time with a group of people, and then suddenly it's all over. I still remember sitting all alone in my classroom after my first year of teaching and feeling strangely empty. That feeling hasn't really changed much over the years - I guess that's probably a good thing, though.

That's all for this edition, so until next time, may your movies all be super-good, may your idols remain American, and may all your speakers command top dollar.

2 comments:

Marc said...

I actually liked 'Superbad.' It's a little overly crude, but it's pretty funny. Although, I've found it's usually better appreciated by males (and for good reason - it's about teenage boys trying to get laid, so I'm sure you'd like it/relate to it haha). But if you actually did watch it and couldn't believe that I had seen it, since, as Alison told me, you still think of us all as little children, I just want to let you know that I saw it before I even took your class. But even though I like that movie, I do think the guy is annoying and his new movie does look terrible.

Brian Bindschadler said...

I haven't actually seen the movie - my daughter was the one who thought it was really (super) bad. I'd heard it was pretty funny (but that's not much of a story).