Thursday, June 24, 2010

Radio, Swimming, and Dangerous Addictions

Radiohead
After three weeks of building nine sets of storage units in the garage, I've had more than my fill of the local radio stations and I've come to the following conclusions. First, they all claim that they don't repeat the same songs, but that is a lie. Second, they all claim that they play more music and have fewer commercials, and that is also a lie. Third, they all lie. And fourth, I am really, really sick of Dave Aufmuth, and even if I ever decide to buy a used car, the one place I'm not going, just because his commercials are so annoying, is Aufmuth motors. But the good news is the storage units are finished and ready to be delivered (which is today's task of the day).

Swimming in Patagonia
On numerous and sundry occasions, Katie has told me that I should go jump in a lake (not because - perish the thought - she found me exasperating, but because she thinks I should experience an "open-water swim" and be a part of the group of people who have done "open-water swims, which apparently, is a pretty cool group to be a part of). So this past Monday, we drove to Patagonia (along with several of her buds and Caitlyn and her boy) to swim in the lake. I was warned that I might panic when I got out into the lake, and that it might feel very strange not being able to see anything, but I actually kind of liked the whole thing. The water was comfortable temperature-wise, and it turned out to be pretty fun experience (plus, I'm now part of the "open-water swim" crew). When we arrived, there was a group of teenagers at the beach, and several people took note of the fact that there were "four girls in bikinis with one muscular guy" like that was notable for some reason, which I found slightly ironic since I was one (somewhat) muscular guy with four women in bikinis (and wetsuits) and no one seemed to take note of that. There's some kind of double standard at work here, but I'm not exactly sure what it is or what it might mean. I'll leave that to you to figure out.

Speaking of interpretations…
I've been having really, really strange dreams lately, all of which I remember until I fall back asleep and then can't remember when I wake up, which is pretty frustrating. I do recall that several have involved people from my "distant" past in strange and unusual settings but that's about all I got. Which makes me wonder why I even brought it up.

Speaking of sleep…
This is a very loose connection, but I couldn't think of another way to introduce the subject of caffeine, so this will have to do. As you may or may not know, caffeine is a drug, and as you also may or may not know, many people are addicted to this drug, and if they don't get their daily fix, they exhibit withdrawal symptoms such as irritability and headaches. This has happened to my wife on several occasions this summer when she's gotten busy doing her swimming/running/cycling and forgotten her morning cup o' joe. One piece of advice - it's not generally a good idea to tell someone they're an "addict" and they're suffering from "withdrawal" when they've got a headache and are feeling irritable. They tend to get a little testy.

Short post for now because I've got to head out and deliver storage units, so until next time may your reception remain clear, may your water remain temperate, and may your addictions remain manageable.

1 comment:

Marc said...

I've been having unusual dreams lately, and not because what happens is unusual (because they would just be an 'usual' dream for me), but because they aren't. Well, not that it stuff that actually happens, but lately my dreams have actually been feeling really real and when I wake up I'm either like 'Oh my God, phew, thank goodness that was only a dream' or 'Wait, no, that was only a dream! I wanna go back to that feeling! I want that to be real!' In one of the dreams I've recently had this dick keeps trying to get my iPod wet and destroy it. It sucked so much! I didn't even know who he was, which is kinda weird because dreams are our minds way of ordering our subconscious thoughts, but first he tried to push/pull me into the pool, when I had pants on (and therefore my phone, iPod, and wallet in my pants - and I actually felt like I could feel my wallet in my back pocket too, it was weird!) and then when he succeeded, I got all freaked out, because I didn't want my iPod to be destroyed (nor my phone, but my iPod is way more important), so I was like getting out of the water as fast as I can and throwing them out of the pool, hoping that they'd be okay, and then this douche started trying to splash water on them, and I clearly didn't throw them far enough, since he splashed them. Seriously, I was so pissed (even though it was only a dream). Suffice to say, of the two reactions I posted, my reaction to that dream was the former.

An example of the second reaction would be this dream I had of my friend and I being at Bonnaroo again (I had this dream after we came back) and we were sitting in one of the fields outside a tent, about to see Will Smith (which I guess is weird, because Will Smith didn't play at Bonnaroo - thank god, - Will Smith hasn't rapped in years, and I never think about Will Smith (though actually I think I had watched an episode of 'Fresh Prince' that day which would explain it). Anyways, so it surprisingly wasn't that crowded (well, at least for Bonnaroo) and amazingly, Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward, of She & Him, are sitting behind us. Ok, so Mr. B., you don't who that is, but read my latest blog post. Basically, She & Him is one of the bands that played there (that I love) and I love Zooey Deschanel. I mean, LOVE. But I started talking to them and complimenting Zooey and I guess they really like me, because then I started hanging out with them and they took me back stage and we just hung out. It was weird, because it wasn't like I had sex or made out with her (which is what you would logically think a 15 year old would dream about his female fantasy), but we just hung out, and it was amazing. But it wasn't just like 'friends' either. I can't explain it, but it wasn't that or just 'Oh, this is a pretty cool kid,' but kind of that beginning stage in teenage relationships, where it's just kind of subtle flirting, but I just felt like she actually like me.

I feel weird writing all of this now, but there you go. I had two other dreams that were similar to each of those; one being that I dropped my video camera in the pool, which sucked SO much! and the other, I don't really want to talk about (it's kind of awkward), but basically this chick, who kind of resembles Zooey Deschanel, wanted to make out with me (and I actually know her too, which is why I'm not including her name). Anyways, so while those dreams were 'weird,' technically, they were just different from other dreams, and the first time I've remembered my dreams in a long time. Maybe I ought to look into this.