Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Joe D., Dissing the Cat, and the Running Roller Coaster

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?
The short answer is that I've been too busy/distracted/lazy/slothful/irresponsible/etc. to post any entries. Or maybe nothing has happened that seems worth writing about (though that hasn't really stopped me before - case in point, I'm currently writing about not writing, which is either a clever and insightful example of irony or a desperate attempt to fill this space, and in the end, does it really matter?). So the bottom line is that millions of readers world-wide have been desperately craving a fix of mildly amusing anecdotal entries. Can you imagine the horror of such a situation? Grim-face, empty-eyed automatons shuffling joylessly through the long and tedious hours of their days without even a ray of hope to shine a light at the end of the tunnel. It's enough to make one shudder. And I feel really bad about it. So bad, that I'm currently entering an entry in an effort to alleviate the gloom and cut through the fog. So if you're reading this, we'll assume your day just got a little bit better. And on we go.

More cat news
In my desperate search for events worth mulling over and then spewing out on these pages, I turn once again to the cat known as "She-she Squeakers Kittyface" because she's a highly interesting character whose struggles and exploits shed light on the human condition in highly metaphorical ways that require deeply thoughtful analysis. Or not. Anyway, she's a very strange cat, as all cats seem to be, but she's becoming even friendlier as time goes by. Case in point, the other night, she even allowed me to pet her while she sat next to me on the couch - and I only had to hold her a little to keep her from getting away. But she's still weird, and Carrie and I were commenting on one of the weird things she was doing the other day, when Katie happened to overhear us and got quite offended because we were making fun of "her" cat. For some reason, she decided to perceive this as a personal attack on her as a cat owner, don't ask me why. Now I've heard about certain people who get all wrapped up in their children and feel that everything their kids do is a reflection on them, and even certain people who get all wrapped up in their dogs and dress them up like people and let them sleep in their bed at night and stuff like that, but this seemed like a little bit of an over-reaction to me (and to Carrie). Anyway, to be forewarned is to be forearmed, so the next time you see Katie, make sure you only say complimentary things about the cat or she'll probably get all up in your face and slap you down - or she'll cry. And I don't know which would be worse.

The life of a runner…
At least for me these days, is filled with ups and downs and fits and starts. The good news is that I recently had the first two-week stretch of the year where nothing really hurt. No bursitis in my hip flexors, no achilles aches, just nice relaxed runs that felt good before, during and after. The bad news is that since then my calves have decided to act up - first the left and then the right, and while neither seems to be a major issue, it's enough to be frustrating and make me wonder what the heck is going on. But I'm still able to get out and about, and I've only really missed a couple of runs, and maybe it all serves as a reminder of how great it is when everything goes well, but maybe it's also a reminder of the fact that I'm not a spring chicken anymore and there are even dark moments when I wonder whether give the whole thing up and switch over to full-time cycling or something. Of course, then I read about 70-year-olds who run sub 3-hour marathons or who've run tens of thousands of days in a row without ever skipping a day and I make a wish upon a star and hope for the best. And this afternoon, I'll go for a run. And I'll enjoy the heck out of every mile.

A few more random magnetic word sentences found in my classroom at the end of the day
•We could make you poison prisoner's pie, but life always smiles.
•Blow off love for champagne.
•Santa is kissing my ferocious squirming reindeer.

Can anyone believe the Broncos are 5-0?
It's a strange and mysterious world.

There's no topping that last one, so until next time, which will hopefully be sooner than it was this time, may your deadlines be reachable, may your ups outweigh your downs, and may your favorite football team beat the Patriots in overtime (unless your favorite team happens to be the Patriots, in which case I hope you wind up in a tie).

No comments: