Thursday, December 4, 2008

Black Friday (2), Star Wars, Escaped Felines, and More

Okay, I was wrong, and I'm man enough to admit it. In an earlier posting, I went off a little on the whole concept of "Black Friday" and people who get up early to participate in the shopping craze fueled by ganga deals. In fact, "Black Friday" is the greatest day of the year, and I never should have avoided the crowds and stayed away from the stores. Just think, I could have been part of a fun-loving, holiday-spirit-fueled crowd like the one that rushed the doors of Wal-Mart when they opened, trampling a hapless employee to death. After all, what's one human being's existence when compared to getting a great deal on a flat-screen television. Obviously, these folks have it all figured out, and next year, I promise to join the throngs. Without a doubt.

Everyone knows those funny little personality tests on the internet are completely valid, reliable, and trustworthy, right? Well, I took the "What Star Wars Character Are You?" quiz recently, and it confirmed all my suspicions - about these tests and about myself. I dutifully read through the prompts and clicked the appropriate responses, figuring I would either come out as a swashbuckling, sarcastic rogue (Han Solo) or a wise, mysterious, well-centered guru (either Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda). At worst, I figured I'd wind up as a somewhat naive, idealistic, well-meaning and courageous hero (Luke Skywalker) or a dark, powerful, tormented anti-hero (Darth Vader). So as I clicked my last selection and hit the "submit" button, I waited with bated breath to see which one it would be. The results? Read on, for the answer lies at the end of this entry.

The cat's out of the bag, the dog's run away, and the cow's jumped over the moon. I "accidentally" let it slip to a few people that my dream goal for the marathon I'm running in a couple of days is to finish in 3:30 or less which would qualify me for Boston (okay, it just occurred to me that as I type these words, which are certain to be read by millions of dedicated fans world-wide, I've now officially gone way beyond accidentally letting it slip - oh well). Anyhow, word has spread, kind of like an oil slick after a tanker mishap, so now lots of people know, which has ratcheted up the pressure more than a little for yours truly (one has to wonder - was this purposeful? Subliminal? Hmm…). Guess we'll just have to wait and see how the stars align. Tune in next week to see how it all falls out.

Two-hundred miles in a month. That's how far I ran in the month of November (actually 204, but who's counting? Okay, I am - obviously). This is significant because it's the most I've ever managed in a single month, and unless my feet fall off in the next week or so, I'll push past the 1,500 mile mark for the year. Coaching for TNT (which I started last January and will continue at least into the near future) seems to have made a huge difference for me - there's something about being out there helping people complete their runs that fills me with energy and motivation. We're currently training a group for the marathon in Phoenix on January 18, and they recently completed their 16-mile run, which for many of them was the furthest they'd ever gone. It's truly inspirational to watch dedicated people pushing their limits and going beyond what they believed was possible. I think I'm starting to bleed purple.

Finally, here's the answer you've been waiting for. The Star Wars character I'm most like (at least, according to the on-line quiz I took, which I have to say is probably not very accurate) is… Princess Leia! There was some nonsense about how that correlates with leadership and strong focus, blah, blah, blah, but Princess Leia? I mean, really. Oh well, at least I'm not C-3PO like my son, Connor.

That's all for now, so until next time, may your Fridays be bright and cheerful, your personality tests be accurate and acceptable, and your stars be aligned in perfect and pleasing arrangements.

No comments: